Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Vinegar

Lately I have been infatuated with researching the life style of the past. The old home remedies that were once used but have been replaced by chemicals and quick results. I am slowly trying to incorporate some into my lifestyle. Not, all at once though, I tend to get overwhelmed or frustrated and give up if I try to change to much at once. I realize that many people are still using these, but it is all new to me :)

Through all this searching I am finding there are so many uses for vinegar. I have replaced fabric softener with white vinegar. I figured I might give it a try and see what happens. I was worried that the oder of the vinegar would stay in the clothing but, I gave it a try anyway. I added one cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle of the clothing I was washing and then dried. Surprisingly, the clothes came out quite soft and no vinegar oder! It cut through the oil and grease stains on my husbands jeans (he works on cars) surprisingly well. Needless to say this is one alternative to fabric softener that I will stick with.

I also tested the method of cleaning things with baking soda as well. I sprinkle a little on the wash cloths and the kool-aid and coffee stains come off quite well. Its a bit more scrubbing than if I would have used clorox but, I feel alot safer using the baking soda. It also made the inside of my microwave look brand new!

The vinegar in the wash also helps clean your hoses and such on the washing machine.

Happy Cleaning

No comments: